Saturday, March 21, 2009

Life keeps going

So it has been awhile and alot has gone on. I have gotten doctor orders that I can be weight baring on my leg. WOOOOHOOOO!!! I started PT 3 times a week and love the girls I work with there. I have been working real hard at getting stronger but have had a few obstacles in the way. Tom has been busy with work. He has been working his butt off and it seems like for nothing at times. He has gotten sooo discouraged but he is still hanging in there. He is out west right now solo because his trainee is home for his grandmothers funeral.
So in February, my grandpa started to tell us how he was having severe pain in his left arm and shoulder to the point where he couldnt stand it. He went to the doctor and they ordered an MRI on a Friday afternoon and later that night his doctor called and said you need to meet me in the hospital to be admitted tomorrow morning. He didnt complain because it was for more testing. He just was having a real hard time with the pain so he didnt really complain. On Saturday after being admitted the doctors told him they found 6 tumors on his vertebre that were cancer and one of them was up near a spot in his neck where it could cause paralasis. They immediately started radiation that day. They ran more tests and found that he had a total of 7 tumors on his vertebre and he had spots on his lung and liver. After being in the hospital for a week and being on radiation everyday they found he had Stage 4 cancer. It was spreading so fast in his body that it was incurable. It ended up in his Lungs, liver, sternum, vertebre and was spreading like wildfire. He went home and the doctors gave him 6 months to live and provided hospice to come in and help control the pain. He continued to do radiation once he got home for about a week and he was so confused and week it was very hard for the family to watch this. He was in constant pain and the meds would just confuse him and make him sleep. On Monday March 9th he went for his radiation treatment and because he had developed a cold they gave him a breathing treatment. He was having a real hard time so my grandma slept with him in the livingroom that night. She woke up about 5:30 or so and noticed he was breathing really heavy. She patted him to get him to wake up and he opened his eyes and tried to say something but she couldnt understand him. She went to get my uncle and aunt and when they got back into the livingroom he was breathing really really slow and then just stopped breathing. It was very hard to hear of his passing for many reasons but like my grandma keeps saying atleast he isnt suffering anymore. I was able to fly up to NY and be there with my family because of a very special friend helping with my ticket. Im very lucky my husband got to be there to support me to. My grandma is doing ok right night. She is being strong but the loneliness is setting in big time the last couple days. She misses just every noise he would make (cough, bitch, laugh) but I think she will make it.
When I got back life has continued. Still trying to figure out what is wrong with TJ and why he is having the chest pains, but hopefully after some more test we will know. He gets so frustrating at times with his attitude but I love him more than he will ever know.
As for me Im trying to recoop from over doing it bigtime in NY. My leg is feeling better. Im just trying to go on and making sure people know that I love them.

No comments: