Saturday, December 6, 2008

Life in the Woodruff household

So its been awhile since I've blogged so I figured I should at least give somewhat of an update. Alot has been going on around here. We recently hosted Thanksgiving which was great. We were blessed to have been surrounded by lots of family and friends (totaling 14 of us). We had plenty of food and things even though they may have been a little hectic, went pretty well. On Friday we had a busy day getting ready for Saturday which was another busy day. Toms dad was getting married to a wonderful lady on Saturday after thanksgiving and it happened to be taking place (yes again) at our house. Our house got lots of use in that week before getting ready. There were dogs running around, people running around and me stressing to make sure things were going to go over good. Luckily everything did go well and Saturday was a great day. Dad and Deb were married and again we had lots of people over again. There was lots of stress but all went great!!!







So lets see, Tom is back on the road. After his student failed twice on the road test, he finally passed and got his CDL. Now Tom has taken him out on the road as a trainee. He made a BIG booboo this morning because when he stopped driving, he didnt wake Tom up to keep going. Because they are team, they need to be going all the time. Luckily Tom woke up and got there ok, however it could have been VERY bad for Tom. They are in Texas picking up a load going to Florida to deliver on Monday. They will be there way before that, so they are going to try to drop it at the drop yard in Florida.

TJ is doing well. He is on this rollercoaster of emotion lately. Somedays are really really good and then in the drop of a hat he is grouchy or starts back talking to me. I think he is thinking about family in New York and because of the trouble he's been causing with school and homework and stuff, he has lost the privelage of going up to New York for christmas. Some say thats mean or a terrible thing to do, but in a way its a good thing because we dont have to deal with the problems we would when he comes back. He starts basketball practice next week and games will start in January. He is also doing well with Cub Scouts and working towards getting more badges and crossing over into Boy Scouts.

I am doing ok. As many who know me know change of the seasons get difficult for me emotionally. I miss my family more and especially my mom and dad. I tend to hybernate more but Im doing VERY well compared to how it use to be. Lots of news on my pain situation though. I finally found out what is wrong with my leg and the nerve damage that I have. I went to see a Neurologist and had some tests done that show that the nerves in my right leg below my knee are barely working. He was very disappointed because he knew how badly I wanted to know what we could do. After giving me some options I wasnt happy with, he recommended I talk to an orthopedic surgeon. I went to go see the surgeon and after a 10 minute exam (which blew his mind how badly my leg truly is) he was able to tell me that he knew what the problem is with my leg. When I fell 5 years ago, my leg twisted to where my toes were facing the ground while I was laying on my back. Basically when I fell, I twisted my knee around and stretched out and tore the ligaments and tendons in my knee. When my knee twisted it also damaged the nerve that goes down into my leg. He was very sweet and compassionate in answering my many questions and I left him with one question. What can we do to help increase the QUALITY of my life. At the rate im going with the pain and all the complications I have incurred because of this injury I will be screwed by the time Im even 40. We left my appointment with him promising to research what good options I have. I worried because he didnt call for about a week and when he did call, he had a good option for me. Because of the extent of damage in my knee as well as the problems with my leg, he wanted to do a Knee Reconstruction where he would take and cut and reconnect my ligaments, tendons and then scrape all the scar tissue on the nerve and see if there is the possibility for the nerve to start working again. There is a VERY SLIM chance I will have the nerve working again, however im going to need my knee redone down the road anyways, so why not.

So now I am scheduled to have surgery on December 29, 2008. We chose to have it done then because Tom will be home for the holidays and I already have Deb staying with me until christmas and she is willing to stay as long as I need until I am recovered. I am very very nervous, but I need to do something and this seems to be my best option. I will keep everyone updated and let you know how im doing. Im sure I'll be able to blog when Im laying in bed recovering. I am sooo greatful for Deb's willingness to stay with me and help me when I need it. I hate asking and depending on peoples help, but hopefully this will help me get better at asking for it when I need it. Oh yeah, when I was talking to TJ about my surgery he said "Mom dont worry. I dont mind taking off 6 weeks of school to help take care of you!" LOL Gotta love the effort.

So that is enough for now. It is now 12:45 in the morning and Im really tired. i will make sure to update again soon. Take care and hope you all are well.

No comments: